How to Set Up A Google Business Profile Listing
Google Business Profile is incredibly important for Local SEO (Search Engine Optimisation) but why is this? A recent study found that 80% of consumers lose trust in local businesses if they see incorrect or inconsistent contact details or business names online and 50% of consumers visit a store or business the day of performing a local search such as ‘local butchers near me’.
The prospect of setting up a Google Business Profile account may seem daunting or time-consuming but we’re going to break down the process into a few easy steps.
1. First thing’s first – you’ll want to use a Google Business email account which you can set up easily here following the instructions.
2. Once you have your Google account set up you can start to tailor it to your business. This is where you can manage your business account and where you can make changes. To begin click ‘manage now.’
3. Next, you will need to confirm your business name. This enables Google to check if your business is already listed but if another business shares your name, don’t worry! Click the “request access” button and fill out the form with as much detail as you can. Then Google will review your form and get back to you within 7 days. Hopefully they will approve your request, but if not, you can always visit the Help Community and raise your concern or question there.
4. The next step is to confirm your business location. There are different options for Service Area businesses who deliver and do not have an address so keep an eye out for the ‘I deliver goods to my customer’ and ‘Hide my Address’ boxes to tick!
5. If you’re a service area business, make sure to specify which areas you work in or the distance surrounding your address that you work in.
6. Then you can choose your business category. There are countless options so you can pick which category your business best fits into.
7. You’re nearly there but you need to add your contact details now, your phone number and website URL. This step is not essential, but it will be incredibly beneficial for your business to be more easily accessible via Google Business Profile to your customers. If you don’t have a website – there is an option for this also.
8. Finally you have reached the verification stage. There are 3 options for Google’s verification of your business…
- Postcard verification: most common, available to all. Will be sent to your address (within 5 days) and you enter the code on your GMB account.
- Phone verification: this only works if you had previously listed a phone number for your business. You will get a message via phone and then enter it into your GMB account.
- Email: again this only works if you listed an email address earlier on. You will be emailed a code which you then enter into your account.
Your account is all set up! Now you can customize your account, adding posts, photos and videos and can add things like opening hours, descriptions, google maps and more.
You can use Google Business Profile Insights for business analytics (e.g.) how many people visit your website? How many viewed photos?
If you want to discuss Local SEO packages, please call 01706 482017 or fill out our contact form.