What is Google My Business and How Do I Use It?
“Google My Business is a free and easy-to-use tool for businesses and organizations to manage their online presence across Google, including Search and Maps. To help customers find your business, and to tell them your story, you can verify your business and edit your business information.” (Google)
Google My Business is a helpful tool to use and can benefit your business. It will help your business’ online presence and will contribute to local SEO (Search Engine Optimisation). For more information on what Local SEO is, visit https://www.shineondigital.co.uk/local-seo, where we explain how it works in relation to Google My Business.
What are some of Google My Business’ Features?
Google Knowledge Panel is where information from your Google My Business listing appears when a brand search occurs.
It appears on the top right-hand side of the Google search results when someone’s search directly links to your business (e.g.) if they search your business’ name.
It will show the business information you choose to input into your Google My Business account. This could include opening hours, reviews, price range, location and much more.
Google Local Pack/Local Finder is where business listing appear (below the map) in search results. For your business to show up amongst these listings, it would need a Google My Business account.
Again, all the information that is shown here will come directly from your account.
Google Maps is a helpful tool for customers looking for directions to a business or simply looking at its location. It also often links customers to other services that the business offers (e.g) to make an online booking, look at photos or for contact details.
It can help your business gain even more visibility. It can be used on a mobile device as an app or on a desktop through a browser.
How do you qualify for a Google My Business Account?
- You must have a member of staff available to engage with customers during the specified business hours.
- You must also have a physical location to list on your account – the exemption for this requirement is service-area-businesses. These are businesses that operate at their customer’s locations, like plumbers or cleaners.
Setting up your account is quick, easy and is free to do at www.google.com/business/.
But why is Google My Business Important?
- It is easier for searchers to find the important information. This could be a phone number, opening hours or address.
- Searchers can compare different businesses. You get a glimpse into different businesses without having to go to and from their websites.
- Customers can view other information, such as reviews, photos and offers. This makes it more likely for someone to visit your business or enquire after your services.
- People can make bookings and appointments. This is an accessible feature that makes it easier for customers and will also save you time.
- Users of Google Maps can comprise lists of their favourite businesses, giving your business an option to become more supported by customers.
- It is easy for a searcher to see how relevant a business is to their search. Google My Business simplifies the search for relevant, nearby businesses so the customer finds the right business.
- It is a way for consumers to provide feedback to local businesses. This helps to ensure a more accurate depiction of a business and positive reviews always help a business’ image.
If you want to discuss Local SEO packages, please call 01706 482017 or fill out our contact form.